Random facebook inspired hiking trip

I was perusing Facebook recently, checking in on what is up with all these people I never talk to anymore and I saw that two of my friends from high school soccer were toying with the idea of a hiking trip in the near future. On a whim, I chimed in and asked if I could come, and so Krystyn, Stacey and I got together this past weekend for the first time in about five years. We hiked the trails around Brice Creek (east of Cottage Grove), saw two waterfalls, and enjoyed eachother's company. Stacey and I had fun making Krys nervous by climing trees and such, and we even got Krys to get off the trail once or twice. On the way up the trail, I spied a couple of trees that had fallen over a ravine and decided that we should climb across them for a photo opp. Stacey followed and Krys took our photos.If you look closely, you can see us on the top of that top horizontal log about 60 feet in the air. Below is a closer shot. And us crawling back. Along the way, we stopped to take a group photo. The story that this photo does not tell is how difficult it is to get up on a log in time for the photo timer! Finally, we made it to the upper falls, which we walked under. Photos don't do justice to how cool it was. We each took a turn going through the waterfall. It felt great because it was pretty hot out. Here are more photos of the waterfall and us up there. We also hit up the lower falls, as seen below.
On the way back, we found a cool orange mushroom. Stacey wanted to smell it. The last leg of our hike was over the bridge to the car where I shot this cool reflection pic.

Comments

A & K Finch said…
Charissa,
That looks like such a gorgeous hike! I am so glad that you were able to meet up with old friends and enjoy God's beautiful creation! I am glad that you were adventurous to get some awesome shots! Thanks for posting some pictures! Have a great week!
Kathleen
Ashley said…
Charissa, found your blog through Kathleen's and I had to comment on the orange mushroom. It's called a lobster mushroom and my sister and I used to pick them and sell them during the spring to make money. Believe it or not, people actually eat those things. But I don't recommend it as most are full of worms. :( We made some good money though.
Kristin said…
Charissa, that was so much fun! I'm really glad we had the opportunity (as random as it may have been) to catch up and go on a gorgeous hike. And thanks for bringing your fancy pants camera and taking stellar photos! Let me know when you want to visit Chicago!

Popular posts from this blog

Opening the gift

Hope

Cayden Elizabeth Ann Bernard